Friday, October 31, 2008

A Clean Slate

I am confused today

How did I get to here?

How do I know

what I believe to be knowable?


I am who I am

right now

but

I have no idea

what has happened in between

me now

and me then


I feel dumbfounded

by this state

this heightened awareness

of unawareness


How will I move forward

without the in-between

layers

that make up

my perception

of my initial experience

if I can’t remember

what that was?


How can I stand to

long-leggedly

step forward

into something

I won’t remember?

3 comments:

Lana said...

I wonder are my memories correct? I've had to piece so many things together...asked lots of questions. Will I ever know and does it really matter now? If its real to me its real right? I can't think about it anymore. I only think about the future. I do worry that I'm recreating memories for Olivia. I talk about what happened weeks and months later. I show her lots of pictures. What are her memories? Are they really mine? Are they my perception? I try to include her comments when I retell stories but is that enough? My stomach hurts to think about it so I move on. I have to or I'd never speak.

Tara Maria Ford said...

that was beautiful. especially the last line--I have to or I'd never speak. wow. that is what I feel. sometimes I don't speak because I want to remember the moment as pristine it is.

Lana said...

there are times i don't retell events or even try to think about them again. i never tell anyone. sometimes visions come back and i let them come and try not to intervine. i can't think of a time right now and i'm glad but also sad they will never be shared